Tuesday 13 January 2015

‘I feel an energy of war around Charlie Hebdo protests’

More than 3.7 million people participated in the demonstration against the recent attack on Charlie Hebdo, the French satirical weekly newspaper. This mega demonstration was led by many world leaders including French President, Francois Hollande, top representatives of Russia and Ukraine, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian President, Mahmoud Abbas. London, Madrid, New York, Cairo, Sydney, Stockholm, Tokyo and other cities in other parts of the world too swelled the streets in protest.
During a conversation with a few artists spread across France and those who participated in the demonstration, interesting perspectives emerged. French actress, Laetitia Eido and Director and Producer, Maxime Potherat discuss the meaning and ramifications of these attacks withnewsroompost.com.
Newsroompost.com – As artists, how do you see these attacks?
Laetitia – The demonstration makes it feel that it is a new problem, that something bizarre has happened. But it is not a problem that has happened now. The fear of being attacked was always there. This need to suppress always existed. But what has happened is that one realizes now that ‘Oh wow! It is real, it is happening right here, right now.’
Maxime – My English is not very good. So, I will pitch in only when I have to say something important. It is difficult to have fun now. What has also happened is that somewhere the freedom to speak and say and express suddenly feels hit. But it is also important that now everyone realizes that it is a world problem. For me, it is not about France alone, it is a world problem.
Newsroompost.com – How do you see the protests?
Laetitia – There is a huge support which should be the case. People are speaking out, that also is good. But what is also scary is the slant these protests are taking. Suddenly, it is somehow about Islam which is not the case. There is massive confusion of issues. What are we protesting for and against what? No one is clear. And those who are clear are manipulating it.
Newsroompost.com – And when you say, someone is manipulating it, who do you mean they are?
Laetitia – There are all sorts of people with hidden agendas. They are confusing issues. I went to the manifestation just to show solidarity. Suddenly I hear multiple voices. For some, there is the question of Jewish infiltration and how jobs are being snatched. For some, there are issues of all kinds of foreigners from different countries taking away our resources. So, you see, Charlie Hebdo protests are no more about freedom of expression. There is a muddle. The government is manipulating it to launch offensive against nations. The various groups and factions are manipulating the movement for their own interests.
Newsroompost.com – So, it is not about freedom of expression you feel?
Laetitia – It might have begun like that- even the offensive. To clamp on those who wanted to say something other than what you wanted to hear. But today, ironically, you can not even ask what the movement is about? You have lost the discretion to express what you believe in.
Newsroompost.com – Could you please elaborate?
Laetitia – Sure. Let me begin by asking, why are so many world leaders here? If it is about solidarity, then there is the Indian Prime Minister as well who expressed solidarity in front of global leaders during the recent meet. It is not innocent, these people being here. But because I have said it, by stretching my statement further, suddenly I will be branded an anti-Semitic or anti-Islam or whatever. Gradually, I will be against so many things for people that I would no longer be able to explain that I am just against extremism, in general. Lot of people over there are not there for the right reasons.
Newsroompost.com – What is the scariest part between all that you said and all that you feel?
Laetitia – I feel an energy of war around Charlie Hebdo protests. People are just ready to do anything to seek justice – without understanding what it is that they are fighting for – collectively.
As long as you have this feeling for terrorists and extremists, it is fine. But can you sustain a long fight with violence and negative energies? There is a saying in English, right, that an eye for eye makes the whole world blind.
Newsroompost.com – What are you planning to do now?
Maxime – We just want to continue. We just want to speak against these attacks and many more of them, time and again. Respect is the most important thing in this world and at no cost we should lose it. It is important that we do not get scared and keep talking about what is going on. To not lose one’s voice.
Laetitia – I am an actress. I am in my profession because I want to understand human soul. I know that for me, it is about finding my center. I want to make peace with myself first. I know that this realization is deeper than demonstrations. And it is also the most frightening thing to do because not many, at the moment, are willing to take charge and move out. This first step is very hard. To work on oneself, is the most difficult thing to do. So I will do that.
Newsroompost.com – When you say that Laetitia, are you not just evading the issue to go back in a shell?
Laetitia – Ok. Let me try and explain. This was a recent case. There was this 15 year old girl in France. She was not very religious in the way we loosely use the term religion. She posted something on her facebook wall which went along the lines of “one day my mistake will be forgiven.” Now some terror outfit brainwashed her into believing that she can do so many things to seek forgiveness. The route they suggested was to join the group in Syria and become a nurse. She goes to Syria, becomes a nurse, marries a man from turkey and somehow, one step after the other, becomes a ‘jehadist’. Later, she realizes her mistake and confesses that she committed a grave fault. I believe this self realization is essential. It is along this line that I said that I want to find my own center. Because you know, just like anywhere else in the world, there are people sleeping in France, right across your very own street and are ready to become a martyr.

No comments:

Post a Comment